Count your many blessings.....

The Rodgers Family: Will, Megan, Sasha, Seth, Addie, Audrey and Noah



Thursday, May 10, 2012

Come what may and love it.....

Our week went a little something like this:

  • Noah got his 5th haircut or something like that.  His hair grows so fast.  Also, it is hard to cut a moving target's hair especially when you are a self-taught barber such as myself.
  • Our first week of baseball\softball practice went well.  I am pretty sure Sasha's team thinks I am weird\strange\annoying cause I cheer for them all really loud during practice and encourage them to do the same.  Cheer for eachother!  It's a good idea, right?  Seth and Addie look so dang cute in their uniforms it makes me giggle.  Addie had a ball nick her bat and hit her sweet little face right below her eye.  Coach Daddy gave her some loves and made her step back up to the plate and finish out her turn batting.  He didn't want her to be afraid of the ball.  It was hard to watch her get back up and batt, but it was for sure the right thing.  She is one tough girl, our Addie!
  • Geography group is fun; it's just my friend Jennie and her kids.  We aren't doing science group anymore....long story for another day....ugh!
  • A hose got left on all night long, just a trickle or so, but it filled up Audrey's window well.  What a sight to start out the morning!!  UGH!!  Luckily Will was still home, and changed out of his suit and helped me bail out all that water.  Addie grabbed a itty-bitty washrag to help clean up the water in Audrey's room which was no match for the river that was pouring down the window and all over the carpet, but it sure was cute.  I felt myself getting frustrated with such an unwanted start to my day, and my dear husband reminded me of one of our favorite conference talks by Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Come What May and Love It".  One of our favorite lines is "Our laughter created cherished memories.....".  How true.  So, we did our best and laughed as we pulled up the carpet and dried out the pad.  "Learn to laugh.....".  Good advice.
  • That day ended with me getting a tad bit grouchy about the constant messy state of our house; the dishes, the laundry, the dirty floor.  Not enough ME and too much MESS to clean up.  You get the idea.  I sat down to read NieNie's blog and read the winner to her essay contest about motherhood.  I read the essay and went to the family blog that went more in detail about how their baby girl died from a rare liver disease, while waiting for a donor.  Tears streamed down my face as I read about the heartache this sweet mom had to endure with her sick little baby girl.  She wished she could tell that mom in the store whose kids are crying, that she is blessed to HAVE those crying kids.  That to be sleep deprived with a newborn is better than being sleep deprived because you've been up all night sobbing for your baby that just died.  Oh my goodness, it touched my heart and I was immediately sorry I had let such trivial things like a messy house and a flooded room make me grouchy.  This mom is amazing and I pray she will continue to find peace and that she will overcome this trial that is every mother's nightmare.  Her trial has touched me and changed me for the better.  How lucky I am to have grass clippings, sand, mud and unknown stickiness all over my floor, candy wrappers stuffed in the couch,  and dirty laundry piled as high as the celing, because that means my kids are here, they are happy and they are healthy.
Happy Mother's Day to us all.  I am making my own cake for our family dinner on Saturday: chocolate with a caramel sauce drizzled on top with broken Skor bars.......I know!  It will be divine!!! :)

2 thoughts shared:

Sarah said...

Loved this post! Love that you and Will can always see the positive in the frustrations that hit you! And, had the same feelings as I read that sweet story of Ruby. What blessings the messes are.....at least they are coming! Right? And, p.s. What time is dinner Sunday. Better yet, what time does the cake hit the plates? :) Happy Mother's Day Megan.....you are one amazing Mom!

Lynette said...

Laughing when you want to cry and enjoying our children when we least feel the love...What an excellent reminder for me, Megan! I loved reading about how your husband calms you down...What a terrific man you've married! I tend to calm my husband down and he tends to take all of the drama out when I'm feeling dramatic. It all balances us out. :)

I need to read the winning essay from Nienie's blog...I read the first few, but forgot she was running a contest and never went back to read the winner's entry. Thank you for the reminder. :)

Happy Mother's Day!!